Friday, May 29, 2009

Things I enjoy about New Zealand (Or, "Things to Google")

Kiwi kids climb trees (and do everything else) barefoot
Manuka honey
Pukekos
Wool, and fibre arts in general
L&P
Fish n chips z (pronounced, "fush n chups")
Watching FoTC in their natural habitat
The Tasman Sea
The Auckland Harbour
Hokey Pokey ice cream
NZ House and Garden Magazine
Tea towels
Toetoes
jandals
Whittaker's chocolate
ANZAC biscuits
Pinot noir
Sauvignon blanc
"She'll be right"
"Good on ya"
Green lipped mussels
Kauri trees
Cheap sushi
Short commercial breaks
Golden kiwifruit
NZ Beauty apples


Things I don't enjoy about New Zealand (or, "Things I won't miss when I go home"):

Certain NZ road rules that don't make a lick of sense
Expensive cosmetics
Horridly expensive internet
The rat tail coif that seems to have made a (miraculous) comeback with young Kiwi males
Indiscriminately bad popcorn
Grammatical errors. They're everywhere.
People are very reserved, and so I try to be too, much more so than I really am
The dismal selection of greeting cards. They're few, never funny, often cliche, lacking sentimentality, and wretchedly expensive.
Tourists. They're everywhere.
I am often shown how pc Americans are when I am made to feel awkward by what is considered appropriate in New Zealand (but would be considered shockingly un-pc, even tasteless, unintelligent, or inarticulate in the States. For example, I once heard a news anchor report that someone "must have had balls").

2 comments:

LuAnn said...

Great blog entry! You're going to keep me googling for hours!

XO,
Mum

Unknown said...

I should come to NZ and start saying all the inappropriate shit that I would love to say 100% of the time here but can't because I am a PC American.